Did you hear that Skills on the Hill is adding aquatic therapy and adaptive swim to our list of services? Are you as excited as we are?! We have received an abundance of parent feedback regarding the need for this program and are truly looking forward to bringing dynamic aquatic services to our Skills family and beyond. Now the fun work begins - laying the foundation for this new program to offer it safely and in the most progressive way. Our therapists have undergone extensive continuing education and training to work with your children using the most current and research-based techniques that aquatic therapy and adaptive swim have to offer.
Our program has officially launched in 2021, in partnership with Swim Angelfish. Click the button below to leave your information and hear more about enrollment and procedures for our aquatics program.
‣ Designed to meet therapeutic goals while taking advantage of the properties of water and therapeutic handling
‣ Increase strength, endurance, balance, integration of primitive movement patterns, safety awareness, self-regulation, and overall body coordination to meet therapy goals
‣ Delivered by skilled OT or PT trained in aquatic therapy
Adaptive Swim lessons
‣ Designed to meet individual swim goals, identify roadblocks, address challenges, help children meet swim skill benchmarks to assist in water safety, increase leisure skills, and overall swim skills in children
‣ Lessons are created for, but not limited to, those with anxiety, physical or sensory challenges
‣ Delivered by qualified OT or PT trained in adaptive swim
Skills on the Hill is a Proud Aquatic Partner with
The St. James Wellness Complex
Frequently Asked Questions
What are common goals of pediatric aquatic therapy?
What does aquatic therapy at Skills on the Hill look like?
Who can participate in aquatic therapy?
When are sessions being held?
Contact us today via our initial contact or via phone at (571) 527-0818 for available slots.
Where are sessions being held?
Skills on the Hill will be hosting all aquatics programs at the St. James Sports, Wellness, and Entertainment Complex pool house.
Is aquatic therapy covered under health insurance?
We are considered an out of network provider. We bill the services as outpatient as either Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy, depending on which therapist provides the treatment.
What certifications do the Skills on the Hill instructors have?
The Skills on the Hill instructors have received training via Swim Angelfish. Swim Angelfish is the global leader in adaptive swim instruction. The company creates educational resources for the needs of the world’s adaptive swim lessons and advocates for the necessity of having specifically trained instructors for this growing population. For the last 20 years Swim Angelfish has been dedicated to reducing the drowning statistics by teaching children of all abilities how to swim safely and independently. The founders, Cindy Freedman, MOTR and Ailene Tisser, MA, PT developed an adaptive swim methodology (Swim Whisperers®) specifically designed to help children with Autism, sensory and motor coordination, anxiety, trauma, or simple discomfort in the water to become safe and independent swimmers.